Ecologically sensitive travelling
The by far most eco-friendly way of cargo transportation is carriage by sea.
An airplane emits 70 times more CO2 than a large container vessel.
This environmental aspect receives an ever-increasing role for our passengers. Not only Sten Nadolnys novel “The discovery of slowness” has promoted awareness of a different kind of travel. More and more of our customers use freighter voyages to experience a slow and eco-friendly alternative to flying by plane, or to “experience distances”.
There are many passengers who use a break, e.g. a sabbatical year, on a cargo ship to visit a distant continent or to make parts of a world journey, without using an airplane.
We gladly assist you in reaching unusual destinations!
One of our customer described it very suitable: “A Freighter voyage is decelerated travelling”
We also want to praise our shipping companies who have made great effort to improve eco-friendly shipping by sea. Here are some examples:
- „Slow Steaming“ (slow driving with lower fuel consumption)
- Electric power supplies at the ports
- Biological wastewater treatment aboard
- Ballast water cleaning and treatment
- Environmentally friendly hull paint
- Reduction of sulfuric emissions
- Replacing heavy oil as fuel with marine diesel
- More and more vessels are using exhaust gas cleaning with exhaust gas scrubber
- More and more vessels are using liquid bivalent fuel (LNG)
- Strict rules aboard: no throwing of garbage into the sea
These are just examples emphasizing the ecological awareness of our shipping companies.
One last thing to keep in mind and maybe to think about:
“Our” ships are manufactured for the transportation of goods and wares. Therefore, taking passengers has no real environmental impact, in contrast to a cruise ship.